eSports Explained and WHY?
by mastergerber - August 14, 2019 at 08:04 PM
OK ... fairly new here, but curious on your thoughts on eSports and why its even a thing.
I wouldn't call it sports. Moving the mouse is not an athletic activity.
(August 14, 2019 at 08:57 PM)jop Wrote: I wouldn't call it sports. Moving the mouse is not an athletic activity.

Agree... they only call it sports so they can air it on tv/stream it online, just because there is an audience and money in it
I don't know, the terminology might be a gimmick, but it's still competitive and the teams still train. so what should we call it instead?
its a thing because many players can see pro play in real time and they enjoy watching pro gaming. this is money generating machine and its the future of entertainment for gamers
I find it pretty similar to darts or something similar, which is still considered a sport even though they just fucking stand there and throw things. But I do think it's borderline stupid to call it a sport.

Though I also feel we could do more useful things with millions of dollars than giving it to a bunch of fucking kids who do well at Fornite. But I guess money gets wasted on even more pointless things than that too.
It's a competitive activity that creates capital, hype, allows sponsors, advertising and various other good market related stuff.

(August 14, 2019 at 08:57 PM)jop Wrote: I wouldn't call it sports. Moving the mouse is not an athletic activity.

Some people see Chess as a sport.
esports is cringey in my opinion
it's every 13 years old boy's dream job
Darts, Clay Shooting, Snooker/Pool, Archery to name just a few are all 'sports' and they aren't very athletic activities. I think it is being able to compete is why it is called a 'sport'/esport.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Best Guitarist of all time and WHY cadillacvibes 20 362 January 09, 2020 at 04:17 PM
Last Post: Sunsingerlock
Anyone into esports? lopezmania 9 256 December 31, 2019 at 04:07 AM
Last Post: hlafo
I do not understand esports mastergerber 7 165 December 23, 2019 at 01:20 PM
Last Post: ChunkButter