Why TELEGRAM
by stux - August 20, 2020 at 10:39 PM
Exactly why at all? , might aswell start using facebook groups for your coms as it's gonna get leaked anyway.
telegram is just terrible all round
Easy to use and ppl who aren’t even privacy minded use it at least where I’m from.
Yeah its quick and easy!!
(August 20, 2020 at 10:43 PM)stux Wrote:
(August 20, 2020 at 10:40 PM)thekilob Wrote: cuz it's quick and easy
the only part i fucking hate about it is the fact it requires a phone number
other than that, it's pretty good
and u can't say "oh this is more secure" no nigga, literally everything (i do mean *literally*) literally fucking every messaging app is backdoored

Hey Bob nice to hear from you again.
Yes Telegram is quick and easy but so are the alternatives.
I totally agree that giving a phone number for a "privacy and security" Messenger is a fucking disgrace, that's why i prefer Wire.

I do not believe Wire for example has been backdoored because all the good is OpenSource and has been Audited by independent CyberSec Companies.

Best regards,
Stux

Agree with what your saying though, never found it to be secure, i mean i highly belive when it all comes down to the law they will talk lol.
[/quote]

I agree I used to use Telegram but now I have totally switched to Wire.
Wire is a end to end encrypted zero knowledge Messenger with its Servers being in Switzerland.
It has been around since 2015 and is slowly getting used by more and more government officials to share classified information.
It has been audited i think at least 3 times and is one of the most trusted messenger personally.

Best regards,
Stux
[/quote]

I also like wire for the reasons you mentioned above not to mention it is super user friendly. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks of the app signal, its supposedly pretty privacy focused.
(August 29, 2020 at 08:27 PM)grango Wrote:
(August 28, 2020 at 11:32 AM)Sunsingerlock Wrote: I advocate for Signal, that's a REALLY tight piece of software Smile

you need to give out your phone number to use signal. you can't use an email or username(yet).

Signal is for encrypted sms.
i would agree with @thekilob
it's fast and easy, and as a developer you're given an API by bot_father. which able to automate some stuff
truly a great thing
This is my personal opinion. In many aspects, Telegram is superior. It allows you to access your Telegram account from their web interface without having to connect your phone to the internet(A feature/bug of WhatsApp that I find incredibly annoying).
It feels faster and brings new features earlier than WhatsApp.
I could go on, but all in all, it’s up to what your friends are using as you cannot use any messaging platform in isolation.
(September 16, 2020 at 02:20 AM)nsaspy Wrote: Signal is for encrypted sms.

signal messages aren't encrypted sms messages

encrypting sms messages would be super inefficient due to the 160 character limit per message

not only that but it would be super unreliable since sms messages dont always get delivered. if 1 part of the encrypted message doesnt get delivered, the entire message would be rendered unreadable & the entire process would have to start all over again

not only that but it would also be slow as fuck. some mobile providers take between 10-30 seconds to deliver an sms message

with that out of the way, i made my original post to point out the fact that its probably not a good idea to hand out your phone number to rf members just to be part of a chatbox.

sure, you could probably use some online service or a burner number to create your signal account, but not everyone will have access to those
telegram is for just social shit, i wouldnt care if my messages r pulled from it
(September 17, 2020 at 04:37 AM)grango Wrote:
(September 16, 2020 at 02:20 AM)nsaspy Wrote: Signal is for encrypted sms.

signal messages aren't encrypted sms messages

encrypting sms messages would be super inefficient due to the 160 character limit per message

not only that but it would be super unreliable since sms messages dont always get delivered. if 1 part of the encrypted message doesnt get delivered, the entire message would be rendered unreadable & the entire process would have to start all over again

not only that but it would also be slow as fuck. some mobile providers take between 10-30 seconds to deliver an sms message

with that out of the way, i made my original post to point out the fact that its probably not a good idea to hand out your phone number to rf members just to be part of a chatbox.

sure, you could probably use some online service or a burner number to create your signal account, but not everyone will have access to those

again its all in your threat model, if you are giving your phone to rando than its your problem. can you view the sources of telegram, no you cant. i have not used telegrm and will never use telegram on the basis its closed sourced. i cant trust or verify telegram.  I can how ever vett the signal protocole when i meant sms, its how its meant to be, it doesn't literally use sms.  i would sacrifice convenience to gain more privacy. I dont often use signal often but i prefer matrix. Im not saying dont use telegram, because many use it, i just don't use it on the basis of it being closed sourced.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
A question about the telegram. Frisbee228 4 185 October 19, 2020 at 04:48 PM
Last Post: thekilob
Do you know any Discord/Telegram groups/channels ? AllExJ 11 402 July 29, 2020 at 11:04 AM
Last Post: difental
telegram leak Kschulz 14 1,247 June 26, 2020 at 02:54 AM
Last Post: jonnybanana84