Using USB for operating system
by Skocimis - October 06, 2017 at 06:51 PM
If you have some money to spent a ssd external usb disk works nice!
watch out for fake large space USBs on Amazon. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. You can't get 1TB flash USB for $15
(December 31, 2020 at 10:54 PM)brizz Wrote: You can't get 1TB flash USB for $15

My sources tell me otherwise Wink
is fine but slow, ensure use tmp dirs, cache, and variable files in ramdisk and not in usb to long usb life
(January 01, 2021 at 01:03 AM)2vexetod Wrote:

are you kidding, or being serious? The TB flash drives will show up in Windows (and maybe other OS's I dunno)--but they don't actually have that amount of space available. I thought they seemed fishy when I first saw them...

and by chance one day I watched a YT video about them. If you have found a TB drive, and actually put that amount of data on it, and are able to read the data, I would be very curious to know where you got it/brand name.
(January 01, 2021 at 10:09 PM)brizz Wrote:
(January 01, 2021 at 01:03 AM)2vexetod Wrote:

are you kidding, or being serious?  The TB flash drives will show up in Windows (and maybe other OS's I dunno)--but they don't actually have that amount of space available.  I thought they seemed fishy when I first saw them...

and by chance one day I watched a YT video about them. If you have found a TB drive, and actually put that amount of data on it, and are able to read the data, I would be very curious to know where you got it/brand name.

Ofc im being serious!! Its made by kingston, you can request one via their website.
Sike
I tried doing that to test but it didnt work. I might have done something wrong.
I've never tried using OS on USB,, is there any video that tutor on how to do that
(October 12, 2017 at 01:52 AM)brianj424 Wrote: You can, but typically flash drives can only endure between 10,000 and 100,000 write cycles. This is a limit imposed by the flash memory cells of each flash drive.

Running an OS likely means you'll be dealing with frequent write cycles, which will kill the flash drive quicker.

If you plan on going this route, be sure to backup your data often.

If you use this flash drive on a daily basis, consider using a Virtual Machine or even dual-booting instead.
yes I agree with this 1000%. Use external hdd or ssd
How long can you use operating system on USB? Just asking
This forum account is currently banned. Ban Length: Permanent (N/A).
Ban Reason: Multi accounting
usb operating systems are really slow why would you use an os on usb unless its Tails os
USB sticks will die after a certain amount of read / write actions. For installation its OK, to run it just use a HD.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Which operating systems do you use and why? How important is FOSS and privacy? m0t0rbr34th 8 771 May 04, 2021 at 10:03 AM
Last Post: ApolloArt
how many of you guys using win10? itsmynew 134 18,698 May 01, 2021 at 07:20 PM
Last Post: Herlove3
What OS are you guys using ? Kat 29 4,548 April 28, 2021 at 12:47 AM
Last Post: stonedstone