Ubuntu doesn't start "startx"
by InfiniteOnTop - May 04, 2021 at 07:10 PM
So today 4 hours ago I think, I turned off my computer because I wanted to sleep and let my pc rest. When I booted it up it was black screen so I just restarted and it still didn't work so I just turned it off and went to bed without even having pc plugged on so it can "rest" I do say. I booted up last time and it showed some hint of life it was just terminal and as normal human being I typed "startx" to run into login menu and it just showed error. I tried searching on internet and it asked me to install stuff and I tried it didn't work so I just apt updated still didn't work and pinged google.com and 1.1.1.1 still didn't work, keep in mind I use ethernet. Would be grateful if someone can help with it because I stuck on laptop that runs mint on 3 gb of ram. Oh and I been having internet problems past 2 days either getting ddosed 24/7Β or storm was lately and probably fucked up my provider or similar.Β 

Error:Β 
[Image: image0.jpg]
What I'm forced to run:Β 
[Image: Screenshot_from_2021-05-04_20-00-26.png]
do you have access to a linux live usb? Might check that first. If the live usb has network, your installed distro may have a problem somewhere so you can dig deeper.

Or test with a usb wifi stick if you have a spare one?
try to boot into the recovery mode
that shit fixes a lot
It's difficult to say what exactly happened with limited information. Have you installed any new software or configured something differently?
Have you checked the xserver log file for errors? What display drivers do you have installed?
Might be a misconfiguration or an issue with the driver.
(May 04, 2021 at 09:53 PM)Koios001 Wrote: do you have access to a linux live usb? Might check that first. If the live usb has network, your installed distro may have a problem somewhere so you can dig deeper.

Or test with a usb wifi stick if you have a spare one?
I used that distro on that pc for over 8 months now without much problem

(May 04, 2021 at 09:56 PM)3subs Wrote: try to boot into the recovery mode
that shit fixes a lot
You talking about GRUB recovery menu right?

(May 04, 2021 at 09:59 PM)m0t0rbr34th Wrote: It's difficult to say what exactly happened with limited information. Have you installed any new software or configured something differently?
Have you checked the xserver log file for errors? What display drivers do you have installed?
Might be a misconfiguration or an issue with the driver.
I haven't installed anything or configure anything. I was just chatting on discord and watching youtube.
(May 04, 2021 at 09:56 PM)3subs Wrote: try to boot into the recovery mode

that shit fixes a lot

You talking about GRUB recovery menu right?

yup

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Debian? Ubuntu? SwedishViking 41 4,054 April 19, 2021 at 08:19 PM
Last Post: leechleb
Ubuntu is better than Windows samsep10l 66 8,801 April 19, 2021 at 08:14 PM
Last Post: leechleb
How to Mirror & Control Your Android Phone from the Ubuntu Desktop samsep10l 9 1,208 March 31, 2021 at 08:51 PM
Last Post: dbraider