TUTORIAL Armageddon discussion
by dannydennson - March 28, 2021 at 01:29 AM
Bug 
So i guess here we go, lets root that bih together, dont found a thread so wanted to create one 
always love for easy linux boxes xD
yeah - I myself am stuck on rooting - I tried to create a snap package to read the root flag but don't even know if thats the way to go.
I fought a bunch with snapcraft and lxc on my kali machine before getting an actual build on an ubuntu vm but when i tried to install it on armageddon it errored lmao.

i HATE this f***ing box
ok, rooted, if you go the route of creating your own snap package, it’s quite easy, you can install it by using the command sudo /usr/bin/snap install --devmode dirty_sock.snap

Then just ssh into the host with your new user.
Jane506, can you provide link to dirty_sock.snap pkg?
This forum account is currently banned. Ban Length: Permanent (N/A).
Ban Reason: Mass Leeching
ah yes, I used the instructions on the blog post https://initblog.com/2019/dirty-sock/ to create my own snap package, I used an Ubuntu Bionic container to create the snap package that I manually installed.

Didn’t bother with the script that is found on the blog post.
Ah, my arch linux can't install snap and when I'm using ubuntu vm to craft the snap package, the vm keep crashing.
(March 28, 2021 at 04:22 AM)jane506 Wrote: ah yes, I used the instructions on the blog post https://initblog.com/2019/dirty-sock/ to create my own snap package, I used an Ubuntu Bionic container to create the snap package that I manually installed.

Thanks for the link and post! I'm still confused.
I built with snapcraft in a xenial container and installed it on the target but didn't get any results.
It appears the post outlines adding dirty_sock:dirty_sock to the sudoers file but I also changed it to read out the flag to a file.

I ran snap install on the machine and my tmp file wasnt touched or written.

Am I misunderstanding this exploit?

Do I need to run it through the python script? Really confused on this
Finally got root, my bash script to copy the root.txt doesn't work don't know what happened, but when i add another user then give it full permission it works.
How can write a mini writeup for root please
rooted pm me ill help you

(March 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM)pheonix2021 Wrote: rooted pm me ill help you

hint:- https://github.com/initstring/dirty_sockv2
(March 28, 2021 at 05:15 AM)southerndarkness Wrote:
(March 28, 2021 at 04:22 AM)jane506 Wrote: ah yes, I used the instructions on the blog post https://initblog.com/2019/dirty-sock/ to create my own snap package, I used an Ubuntu Bionic container to create the snap package that I manually installed.

Thanks for the link and post! I'm still confused.
I built with snapcraft in a xenial container and installed it on the target but didn't get any results.
It appears the post outlines adding dirty_sock:dirty_sock to the sudoers file but I also changed it to read out the flag to a file.

I ran snap install on the machine and my tmp file wasnt touched or written.

Am I misunderstanding this exploit?

Do I need to run it through the python script? Really confused on this

Yeah, just create the new user and SSH with the new user credentials, then run sudo -s to get a root shell, it’s just easier and you actually root the box that way

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
TUTORIAL HTB pit [Discussion] pheonix2021 37 4,158 34 minutes ago
Last Post: xander2000
TUTORIAL Pit - Discussion chilly 8 1,216 1 hour ago
Last Post: zable1
TUTORIAL HTB Fortress Synacktiv (DISCUSSION) pheonix2021 30 5,035 3 hours ago
Last Post: hashbang