The emptiness in Japanese/Korean culture
by tahmid111 - September 22, 2021 at 10:58 AM
After finishing a series/webtoon/manga, I always feel empty and sad inside. There is always a empty/loneliness vibe in Japanese/Korean culture. Why is that?
Because post-war Japan sold itself to the West and the isolationism of the Sakoku period where the country shut itself off from the world and created many cultural touchstones that contributed to the Japanese Identity became eroded and sold off. Couple that with multiple layers of social demographics where old and disabled people are shut away like an embarrassment and so many things the west regard as fair play are actually cultural stigmas in Japan.
Wow that was surprisingly deep. Well done!

I'm unsure if the OP is specifically asking about the empty feeling after finishing a series, or a feeling of solitude they felt from the last series they watched. Either way I can completely agree. It can be both a blessing and a curse to be in isolation. I've never felt more relaxed and accepted than when i've been in Japan, and the fact I can eat by myself in a restuarant and it's looked at as completely normal is awesome.
I get that empty feeling with any series that I really like, not just manga or anime.
(September 22, 2021 at 12:23 PM)kirin Wrote: Wow that was surprisingly deep. Well done!

I'm unsure if the OP is specifically asking about the empty feeling after finishing a series, or a feeling of solitude they felt from the last series they watched. Either way I can completely agree. It can be both a blessing and a curse to be in isolation. I've never felt more relaxed and accepted than when i've been in Japan, and the fact I can eat by myself in a restuarant and it's looked at as completely normal is awesome.

Most things in moderation are great, it's great to be surrounded, but at times you need to be alone, we just need balance Smile
Also there is something to be said for being involved in a story and then experiencing its end. Like end of a relationship.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Japanese Language - does it worth it to learn ? tj001 31 2,120 November 30, 2021 at 12:49 PM
Last Post: mamafi
Counting in Japanese. kith 26 2,701 August 03, 2021 at 09:31 AM
Last Post: kith
What are some good non-Japanese and non-US anime? BrownWays 8 1,058 May 14, 2021 at 07:53 AM
Last Post: Alicesab