Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security Clearances
I ended up receiving one because of my last job, but that was already after the fact. So I'm not convinced it will help me finding another specifically, like someone else said they'll already know you have one and look into your skills and experience instead.
Pro - tip.
You want to get great security/IT based jobs. here is the little secret

It is not WHAT you know, it is WHO you know and how likable you are.

so, get a job entry level. Make friends and make friends with people in management positions. When they leave, keep in contact with them. Socially too!
Go join some peer groups. and GO to the events.
Don't be annoying as fuck, your elders may not know the new nifty wiz-bang thingie-ma-bob out there, but they do know the hiring managers.

Again... it is WHO you know.
(11-26-2018, 04:23 PM)pdp11 Wrote:  Pro - tip.
You want to get great security/IT based jobs.  here is the little secret

It is not WHAT you know, it is WHO you know and how likable you are.

so, get a job entry level.  Make friends and make friends with people in management positions.  When they leave, keep in contact with them.  Socially too!
Go join some peer groups.  and GO to the events.
Don't be annoying as fuck, your elders may not know the new nifty wiz-bang thingie-ma-bob out there, but they do know the hiring managers.  

Again... it is WHO you know.

This is some solid advice right here. Make friends with the guys who know the stuff.
I'm pretty sure obtaining security clearances don't work like that. You can be the most likeable and charismatic person and it still won't help you get a clearance. What matters is your history, past activities, relationships, etc. Because in the end, you're going to get a very extensive and expensive background check that'll determine your eligibility.
(11-27-2018, 12:56 AM)MISHE1986 Wrote:  I'm pretty sure obtaining security clearances don't work like that. You can be the most likeable and charismatic person and it still won't help you get a clearance. What matters is your history, past activities, relationships, etc. Because in the end, you're going to get a very extensive and expensive background check that'll determine your eligibility.

The background check most people pass if you don't have a criminal history or have ever visited Russia
(11-27-2018, 02:50 AM)SteveTheBeaver Wrote:  
(11-27-2018, 12:56 AM)MISHE1986 Wrote:  I'm pretty sure obtaining security clearances don't work like that. You can be the most likeable and charismatic person and it still won't help you get a clearance. What matters is your history, past activities, relationships, etc. Because in the end, you're going to get a very extensive and expensive background check that'll determine your eligibility.

The background check most people pass if you don't have a criminal history or have ever visited Russia

Actually not a lot of people pass the background check for a security clearance. DUIs, parking tickets, relationships with non-US citizens, business activities outside the US, past drug usage, prior jobs, mental disability history, etc. are taken into account. If it was that easy to pass the background check and get a clearance then everyone should get a clearance because of the higher salary jobs available.
(11-27-2018, 03:03 PM)MISHE1986 Wrote:  
(11-27-2018, 02:50 AM)SteveTheBeaver Wrote:  

Actually not a lot of people pass the background check for a security clearance. DUIs, parking tickets, relationships with non-US citizens, business activities outside the US, past drug usage, prior jobs, mental disability history, etc. are taken into account. If it was that easy to pass the background check and get a clearance then everyone should get a clearance because of the higher salary jobs available.

The reason it's so difficult to get one is because it costs the government an awful lot of money to run the checks. I've heard $15-20K for the government and almost double that for private companies.
(11-27-2018, 03:58 PM)SteveTheBeaver Wrote:  The reason it's so difficult to get one is because it costs the government an awful lot of money to run the checks. I've heard $15-20K for the government and almost double that for private companies.

Correct.  And knowing the guy who knows the hiring manager isn't going to assure you that you will pass your clearance, but what it will do is give the hiring manager an inside "this guy is ok and worth spending money on"  vs another unknown candidate.

But, if you don't want to make friends, ok by me.
(11-27-2018, 08:11 PM)pdp11 Wrote:  
(11-27-2018, 03:58 PM)SteveTheBeaver Wrote:  The reason it's so difficult to get one is because it costs the government an awful lot of money to run the checks. I've heard $15-20K for the government and almost double that for private companies.

Correct.  And knowing the guy who knows the hiring manager isn't going to assure you that you will pass your clearance, but what it will do is give the hiring manager an inside "this guy is ok and worth spending money on"  vs another unknown candidate.

But, if you don't want to make friends, ok by me.

yes that's the difference maker there especially with private companies, you don't need to wait until the higher ups leave either if you come in at an entry level job, do it for a year, network outside of work and build relationships when a job that needs a security clearance comes up go to your boss and say you want to apply and since people would rather promote internally and they know you, you have a much higher chance than if you just came in through indeed or linkdedin or whatever

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Security researchers out RF in regards to US voting DBs ch3ckmate 7 919 10-21-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: katya000
  METASCAN, automated web application and network security audit r4z0r5 4 412 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Last Post: r4z0r5
  Favorite Place to Get Tech/Hack/Security/Computer Info? Jploemann 15 2,161 02-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Last Post: SteveTheBeaver
  Should forums help the security of their members? ProtectTheFuture 4 593 02-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Last Post: abn123
  Yahoo Security Questions? onewhoflies 17 1,988 06-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Last Post: bkrebs17