Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security Clearances
In my reading I've seen allot of info sec guys talk about how useful a security clearance is in landing a job. Have any of you guys ever had one, does it make a difference, and vaguely what kind of information would that make you privy too?
(11-23-2018, 09:36 PM)SteveTheBeaver Wrote:  In my reading I've seen allot of info sec guys talk about how useful a security clearance is in landing a job. Have any of you guys ever had one, does it make a difference, and vaguely what kind of information would that make you privy too?

had several in multiple jobs (all years ago)

I used to have access to several government databases with all kinds of personal information for everyone who lives in my country (e.g. who lives where, what is their dob, full name, phonenumber, who is their family, which property do they own etc.)

Another job required me to have security clearances in a building of a company with many large government contracts. Was a fun place to work. Clean desk policy, Non Disclosure Agreements, all that shit.

Yet another job required me to have access to databases full of medical + personal information. 

And yet another job required me to have access to customer databases of a multinational.

Jobs like that require NDAs and a paper from the government showing you don't have a criminal record. They usually do some kinda background checks/screening.

I am a rather loyal person and they all paid me well and treated me well. I have never abused the information entrusted to me and I would never do that.

The difference it makes is they want someone who is reliable, so they are happy to pay a decent salary.
(11-23-2018, 09:50 PM)BoringApe Wrote:  
(11-23-2018, 09:36 PM)SteveTheBeaver Wrote:  In my reading I've seen allot of info sec guys talk about how useful a security clearance is in landing a job. Have any of you guys ever had one, does it make a difference, and vaguely what kind of information would that make you privy too?

I used to have access to several government databases with all kinds of personal information for everyone who lives in my country (e.g. who lives where, what is their dob, full name, phonenumber, who is their family, which property do they own etc.)

Another job required me to have security clearances in a building of a company with many large government contracts. Was a fun place to work. Clean desk policy, Non Disclosure Agreements, all that shit.

Yet another job required me to have access to databases full of medical + personal information. 

And yet another job required me to have access to customer databases of a multinational.

Jobs like that require NDAs and a so-called "Declaration about Behaviour" (basically a paper from the government showing you don't have a criminal record)

I am a rather loyal person and they all paid me well and treated me well. I have never abused the information entrusted to me and I would never do that.

The difference it makes is they want someone who is reliable, so they are happy to pay a decent salary.

How difficult is it to pickup and how did you find your in? Is it worth specifically chasing a clearance or should info sec guys just pick the jobs we can get until there is some experience on the resume?
(11-23-2018, 09:54 PM)SteveTheBeaver Wrote:  How difficult is it to pickup and how did you find your in? Is it worth specifically chasing a clearance or should info sec guys just pick the jobs we can get until there is some experience on the resume?

I built my CV from a very young age (left school early). I know a lot of people in my field, and they know they can email me if they need help. So if they hear that someone needs help then they may recommend me.

I wouldn't specifically chase a clearance unless you wanna work with the military (I have never done that and have no clue how that shit works in your country)

basically if you are not old as fuck (like me) then fill your resume with a lot of impressive sounding shit until you get the kind of jobs you actually want.

I always tell people who are younger than I am to read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_it_till_you_make_it
yes, lots of gov jobs or big contractors (boeing, lockhead martin, etc) can only hire people with security clearance. If your line of work has jobs that are in government, or deal with government, it's very valuable as that alone will give you a big jump in salary
tbh the applicants for these kinda jobs know in advance they need to pass background checks and stuff like that so in the job interview(s) the focus is on if you have the skills required.

If you do, then they'll make sure you'll get the security clearance (unless you have a criminal record or ties to a terrorist organisation or something like that of course!)
yea its rly good man hahaaaaaaaaaaa
Along with the clearance, there are also re-investigations every specific period of time (depends on the level of clearance). For example, I had a SCBI done on me for a TS and a reinvestigation is done every 5 years. As for S or C, it's longer time periods. But it WILL help you get a job. Companies would rather hire someone who already has the clearance.
(11-23-2018, 09:50 PM)BoringApe Wrote:  

Jobs like that require NDAs and a paper from the government showing you don't have a criminal record. They usually do some kinda background checks/screening.

how did you acquire those jobs.
(11-24-2018, 06:24 PM)horizonrays Wrote:  how did you acquire those jobs.

I know a lot of people in my field, and they know they can email me if they need help. So if they hear that someone needs help then they may recommend me.
(11-24-2018, 11:35 PM)BoringApe Wrote:  
(11-24-2018, 06:24 PM)horizonrays Wrote:  how did you acquire those jobs.

I know a lot of people in my field, and they know they can email me if they need help. So if they hear that someone needs help then they may recommend me.

what is your real field..... beside lurking on this forum  Biggrin

I forgot to mention, concerning the kind of information, it all depends on your job. Like you probably won't be given TS for a desk job dealing with work employees, and they won't just give you a S clearance to work in the SCIF. Also, a lot of the information are SCI so you won't have the big picture. Like for example, if you were working for Lockheed Martin, you'll only get information that's relevent to YOUR specific job, other information is on a need-to-know basis and you won't have access to it even if you have the highest security clearance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Security researchers out RF in regards to US voting DBs ch3ckmate 7 957 10-21-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: katya000
  METASCAN, automated web application and network security audit r4z0r5 4 415 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Last Post: r4z0r5
  Favorite Place to Get Tech/Hack/Security/Computer Info? Jploemann 15 2,167 02-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Last Post: SteveTheBeaver
  Should forums help the security of their members? ProtectTheFuture 4 597 02-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Last Post: abn123
  Yahoo Security Questions? onewhoflies 17 1,997 06-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Last Post: bkrebs17