Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SSD Speeds
Lightning 
Hey guys,

I am going to be transforming an old computer I have into a budget DB PC. Currently it is a Core2Quad Q6600 @3.0GHz with Windows 10 and 4GB RAM.

I am going to swap an SSD in it and add RAM, but in your experience are some SSD's faster than others with read time? SSDs are a new area for me. I am looking to spend a little more $$ if there is a significance in speed from lower end products to high. If you have good experiences I would love to know.

Thanks!
In terms of interfaces, there isn't an SSD on the market that can saturate a SATA 6 Gb/s connection AFAIK. So you'll be fine with SATA 6Gb/s or M.2 style drives. Personally, I've had great experience with the Samsung 850 Evo's. From what I've seen, they seem to be the gold standard currently in price vs quality.
(06-16-2017, 10:01 AM)aha Wrote:  In terms of interfaces, there isn't an SSD on the market that can saturate a SATA 6 Gb/s connection AFAIK. So you'll be fine with SATA 6Gb/s or M.2 style drives.  Personally, I've had great experience with the Samsung 850 Evo's. From what I've seen, they seem to be the gold standard currently in price vs quality.

I was JUST looking at that! I may have my answer then.