Planned Obsolescence
by Dredgen Sun - September 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM

Things won't ever get better, in fact our products have been gradually getting worse in quality.

If there's anymore of a reason to fight for the right to repair, here it is.
(September 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM)Dredgen Sun Wrote:

Things won't ever get better, in fact our products have been gradually getting worse in quality.

If there's anymore of a reason to fight for the right to repair, here it is.

This shit has been going on for too much time honestly...
We are consumer bitches
(September 23, 2021 at 03:41 PM)ChunkButter Wrote: We are consumer bitches

"Latin consūmere to devour"

We will eat ourselves to death
Companies like fairphone are a step in the right direction.
(September 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM)pittbrad777 Wrote: Companies like fairphone are a step in the right direction.

Just looked at their model range, pretty premium phones, and great on their aim to have a reduction in environmental impact.
(September 28, 2021 at 11:42 AM)Dredgen Sun Wrote:
(September 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM)pittbrad777 Wrote: Companies like fairphone are a step in the right direction.

Just looked at their model range, pretty premium phones, and great on their aim to have a reduction in environmental impact.

Yes, I like the modular approach.

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/spare-parts
(September 28, 2021 at 11:51 AM)pittbrad777 Wrote:

I didn't even see the modular stuff, wow that's some cool tech :D
(September 28, 2021 at 12:05 PM)Dredgen Sun Wrote:
(September 28, 2021 at 11:51 AM)pittbrad777 Wrote:

I didn't even see the modular stuff, wow that's some cool tech :D

Yeah, offering reasonably priced replacement parts is an important part of their philosophy.
When I see something like this I always have to think about the high quality DDR (East-Germany) products they were once obliged to produce. Like fridges which are still running after 30 years. The same goes for light bulbs. There is even a famous one hanging in a museum. Because modern light bulbs are constructed to break after some time.
(September 28, 2021 at 08:15 PM)WeisseRose Wrote: When I see something like this I always have to think about the high quality DDR (East-Germany) products they were once obliged to produce. Like fridges which are still running after 30 years. The same goes for light bulbs. There is even a famous one hanging in a museum. Because modern light bulbs are constructed to break after some time.

That's what happens when companies want to make money, they need any incentive they can get to resell.
(September 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM)Dredgen Sun Wrote: If there's anymore of a reason to fight for the right to repair, here it is.

Or not so much, a 'right to repair' since they're not stopping people from actually opening up the devices and trying to repair it, but more an obligation for them to provide the necessary parts to facilitate repairs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Discord Raid being planned. We need an army. presstarttostart 0 1,064 July 20, 2018 at 02:19 PM
Last Post: presstarttostart