Parrot OS vs Kali Linux?
by dizzainera - July 28, 2019 at 05:41 AM
Parrot is awesome.

Dat new Kali drop tho. 2020.1. goodbye root/toor and hello kali/kali.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Kali is meant for in field testing. It has everything needed for quick deployment and takes extra hardening mechanisms. It is also ported to single board computers very often that people can SSH or VNC into through a mobile device, and then there's also the mobile ROM they maintain called Nethunter. Kali is not meant to be used as a daily driver in any form. Despite it being an OS, in my head I think of it like a tool repo with an OS terminal that lets you run commands and conduct pentests. It works well without persistence because you always have a clean environment to work with. I can only see Kali being installed to a box if someone chooses to use it as a Digital forensics dead box. There are file carvers and other tools in Kali that are used for DigitalForensics/IncidentResponse, but there are superior more focused DFIR distros like SIFT, Paladin and REMnux
(February 02, 2020 at 02:35 PM)qxhmt48 Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but Kali is meant for in field testing. It has everything needed for quick deployment and takes extra hardening mechanisms. It is also ported to single board computers very often that people can SSH or VNC into through a mobile device, and then there's also the mobile ROM they maintain called Nethunter. Kali is not meant to be used as a daily driver in any form. Despite it being an OS, in my head I think of it like a tool repo with an OS terminal that lets you run commands and conduct pentests. It works well without persistence because you always have a clean environment to work with. I can only see Kali being installed to a box if someone chooses to use it as a Digital forensics dead box. There are file carvers and other tools in Kali that are used for DigitalForensics/IncidentResponse, but there are superior more focused DFIR distros like SIFT, Paladin and REMnux

I agree with you about Kali not being a daily driver, the GUI just makes the learning curve much less difficult. 
That might be the biggest difference between Parrot & Kali. There are lightweight versions of Parrot, specifically for more of a desktop experience, and leaving 90% of the tools not already installed.
Kali is the most used plus there is an active community behind it so if you ever face a bug with Kali you can easily find your answer, but when it comes to parrot and there is an OS type issue then good luck finding your answer.
It depends, the os you use tells people a lot about you. If your computer is seized and they find kali, it's pretty well known ^^
Kali I think it's more polished and stable
Kali is usually the one you'd want to stick with because there are a lot more features for it and it's better supported.
I like kali Linux mostly
One really isn't better then the other, they are designed for different things.

Parrot is designed to give you a daily driver, while having Pentesting tools at your disposal. It's also better for Privacy due to Anonsurf and Tor built in.

Kali however is still pretty well the defacto standard when it comes to pentesting. As it's what you'll most commonly see in the wild. For those of you that have ever run across HTB Walkthroughs, they are almost all exclusive to Kali machines being used.

I enjoy parrot a bit more because it does give me that flex to use it more comfortable as a daily driver, but it's updates I've found---to be less stable than Kali. Anonsurf is one that breaks everytime you run an upgrade command. At least from 4.7 onward which is where I sit. I tried it back in the 2.X generation and I found it completely unstable. Even getting a Kernel Panic at a boot up after it stalled on a shutdown. One time I could count as a fluke. But the fact that I wasted time reinstalling and attempting upgrades a total of 4 times says to me it was just unstable.
(March 19, 2020 at 05:51 PM)Volpe Wrote:  I tried it back in the 2.X generation and I found it completely unstable. Even getting a Kernel Panic at a boot up after it stalled on a shutdown. One time I could count as a fluke. But the fact that I wasted time reinstalling and attempting upgrades a total of 4 times says to me it was just unstable.

I haven't tried myself, but my friend was having similar issues.
(April 02, 2020 at 07:34 AM)fantastic4 Wrote:
(March 19, 2020 at 05:51 PM)Volpe Wrote:  I tried it back in the 2.X generation and I found it completely unstable. Even getting a Kernel Panic at a boot up after it stalled on a shutdown. One time I could count as a fluke. But the fact that I wasted time reinstalling and attempting upgrades a total of 4 times says to me it was just unstable.

I haven't tried myself, but my friend was having similar issues.

Yeah---4.8 now is what I'm on and it seems to be working pretty good. So so far I'm happy with it.
I've been using parrot almost 6 months.
I like and to be honest is so easy to mod and change everything since is a linux distro.
I've already used kali too but since I find parrot I stop using kali

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Free Linux Distros Vs paid ones Mefistogr 10 502 September 11, 2020 at 11:18 PM
Last Post: ill13
Is Parrot Security good for main OS as a daily driver? Fetisha Kazegura 10 728 September 07, 2020 at 08:59 AM
Last Post: NotInsane
Any Alternative OS's other then linux/win/mac Otastity 11 1,251 August 21, 2020 at 04:56 PM
Last Post: Shock3212