Most Effective way of OSINT?
by CBT - October 25, 2020 at 11:54 AM
(October 26, 2020 at 01:07 AM)CBT Wrote:
(October 25, 2020 at 08:04 PM)geshem Wrote:
(October 25, 2020 at 11:54 AM)CBT Wrote: what should i be looking out for?, are there information more valuable than others?, what can be regarded as not usefull information?

Depends what your goal is. Also, you never know when something that initially seemed irrelevant becomes relevant, so it's often a good idea to keep the raw data when possible.

lets say for reference: i want to find out where he lives and works

Voter Database can also be considered, if you wanna find out where the person lives.
Found this somewhere and decided to share. There are many useful OSINT sources divided by different categories

https://start.me/p/rxRbpo/ti
(October 26, 2020 at 01:07 AM)CBT Wrote:
(October 25, 2020 at 08:04 PM)geshem Wrote:
(October 25, 2020 at 11:54 AM)CBT Wrote: what should i be looking out for?, are there information more valuable than others?, what can be regarded as not usefull information?

Depends what your goal is. Also, you never know when something that initially seemed irrelevant becomes relevant, so it's often a good idea to keep the raw data when possible.

lets say for reference: i want to find out where he lives and works
Public record and leaked database searches.
This is a loaded question for sure. As people have previously stated, it depends on your target. If your target is a gamer you're going to have a completely different methodology to if they are a politician/journalist.
Starting with an email is probably the best luck you can get. There's a plethora of breaches which can be used to pivot from in terms of data. OSINT framework is a fantastic place to start, but it is a little outdated in terms of tooling.
I highly recommend listening to the Privacy, Security & OSINT podcast by Michael Bazzell, legend in the community.
So if you have an email, look up what breaches they're in. Come here, download the breach and see the information (generally intelx.io will give a preview and sometimes even the breach if its from lets say Collection #1 etc) by searching with ripgrep. If you find something useful, pivot from that. Maybe theres an IP you can use from a REALLY old breach before VPN's were all the rage, giving you a general idea of where they used to live. You might even get lucky and find a home address, age or full name.
If you get a name use popular people search engines to try and find results. Could also check DNA testing sites to see if they have a family tree listed etc. Search for potential court documents under their name as all hearings become public record (depending on country).
If you get a username you can use some of the popular username search engines such as whatsmyname.app or the command line tool Sherlock. Generally usernames are hard to go by unless they're a hardcore gamer.
But sometimes usernames can send you to a facebook page or forum post, read and study their posts to get a feel for their behaviour, what they like and dislike, what they care about etc. It's easier to manipulate someone when you know them on a semi-personal level.
Utilise canary tokens or tracking pixels to gain information about the system they're using, whether they use a vpn or not etc. A nice simple one you can host on your own server can be found on github under the account name IAmJesse.
As previously mentioned theres also tools to search for specific services such as google. There's a little trick you can use to view peoples google calendars:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0...TEMAILHERE
You creativity will be your only limit. But there's a few ideas to get you started. It sounds stalkerish, but that's basically what it is. You'll find you have more luck on American targets than any other culture.

Check out some bellingcat articles, their methodology is absolutely insane; especially for russian targets!
such a broad area, really depends what you want it for
It depends on what you want to find.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
The best OSINT tools Glies1976 293 15,021 Today at 04:17 AM
Last Post: cartel_deep
way bypass 503 hackforums.net block Dimond 17 270 April 07, 2021 at 09:21 PM
Last Post: DisOleThang
What is a secure way to message someone? Seps 68 3,293 February 26, 2021 at 03:48 PM
Last Post: ChunkButter