Missing emails from breach
by Osheim - November 21, 2021 at 08:43 AM
I have been checking some emails that appear in the Wattpad breach (according to leakedsource), however, when I check the email in the database, which I obtained here, it is missing. This has happened in several databases. Sometimes, such as in the dubsmash breach, the email is there but not the hash. Why does this happen, and how can I find the respective hashes for the email?
Typically if there is no hash, that means the user signed up with some other social login (Facebook, Google, Apple) instead of setting a password, I know that Wattpad has this option. Dubsmash being a mobile app is likely the same. As for the email itself being missing, I am not sure, but I can look into that for you if you have examples.
(November 23, 2021 at 10:16 PM)Racecar Johnny Wrote: Typically if there is no hash, that means the user signed up with some other social login (Facebook, Google, Apple) instead of setting a password, I know that Wattpad has this option. Dubsmash being a mobile app is likely the same. As for the email itself being missing, I am not sure, but I can look into that for you if you have examples.

Thank you for replying. I was aware that if the user used a secondary login source it would not appear. But what baffles me is that breach sources, like hibp or leakedsource, state that the email is in the breach, but when the breach is searched, it is missing. One of the emails I am searching for in the wattpad breach is "[email protected]". You can search this email on leaksource or hibp, and it is found in wattpad, but you can search the wattpad breach and will not find this email. I am just confused on how or why this happens.
(November 26, 2021 at 11:43 PM)Osheim Wrote:
(November 23, 2021 at 10:16 PM)Racecar Johnny Wrote: Typically if there is no hash, that means the user signed up with some other social login (Facebook, Google, Apple) instead of setting a password, I know that Wattpad has this option. Dubsmash being a mobile app is likely the same. As for the email itself being missing, I am not sure, but I can look into that for you if you have examples.

Thank you for replying. I was aware that if the user used a secondary login source it would not appear. But what baffles me is that breach sources, like hibp or leakedsource, state that the email is in the breach, but when the breach is searched, it is missing. One of the emails I am searching for in the wattpad breach is "[email protected]". You can search this email on leaksource or hibp, and it is found in wattpad, but you can search the wattpad breach and will not find this email. I am just confused on how or why this happens.

This email does exist in the Wattpad breach, on Snusbase. That hints that it's missing from the copy of the Wattpad breach uploaded to RF, perhaps due to a parsing error, in that case you'd have to contact the person who uploaded it here and let them know.
(November 26, 2021 at 11:50 PM)Racecar Johnny Wrote:

This email does exist in the Wattpad breach, on Snusbase. That hints that it's missing from the copy of the Wattpad breach uploaded to RF, perhaps due to a parsing error, in that case you'd have to contact the person who uploaded it here and let them know.

Well, that would mean the RF Database is at least partially incomplete! Would you, kindly, DM me the associated hash for that email. It would be highly appreciated, and thank you for the help.
(November 27, 2021 at 01:12 AM)Osheim Wrote:

Well, that would mean the RF Database is at least partially incomplete! Would you, kindly, DM me the associated hash for that email. It would be highly appreciated, and thank you for the help.

Sent you a PM
(November 27, 2021 at 03:25 AM)Racecar Johnny Wrote:
(November 27, 2021 at 01:12 AM)Osheim Wrote:

Sent you a PM

I really appreciate the help!