Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kali Linux as primary OS?
Best to always keep them separate like using vmware.
why would you do that?
just run it in live cd whenever you need
Kali is specifically for penetration testing as previous posts mentioned. I would honestly just go for another Linux distro and possibly install kali-tools on there if you really need them on an active basis.
why?

if you only use your OS for pentesting sure, but there are far better OS's for general use...

and if you want pentesting tools on another os... they are all installable for free... kali is just an aggregation.

if you wanta secure/private os use Qubes with Whonix and use templating to separate/sandbox different things.
I use Kali as primary on an ASUS S200E. I installed i 2 years ago. Works fine, the only issue is that I am not able to do upgrades through apt-get update & upgrade. Maybe the source list is changed. Anyone have the same issue?

I use in Live USB mode too. It was a bit tricky to set persistence, but it work well too!
Well, for developing, i usually go to Windows, since i develop .NET applications.
When i need to do ctfs, or a pentest (almost never since my job isnt pentesting) or something like that i use kali.

So dual boot is the solution!
it's depend, but personally i prefer other os for primary system
(01-18-2019, 06:51 PM)Sazizza Wrote:  I use Kali as primary on an ASUS S200E. I installed i 2 years ago. Works fine, the only issue is that I am not able to do upgrades through apt-get update & upgrade. Maybe the source list is changed. Anyone have the same issue?

I use in Live USB mode too. It was a bit tricky to set persistence, but it work well too!

For some reason every ISO I've ever tried had the sources.list messed up or out of date. Make sure you have https://docs.kali.org/general-use/kali-l...positories set up and you should be good to go. You can find mirrors at https://http.kali.org/README.mirrorlist as well, although I usually go with the kali.org links personally.

Primary OS really just refers to the OS you use the most, so if you do mostly pentesting then Kali as a Primary OS would make sense. If you are doing anything serious with it or are attaching hardware such as Alfas or SDR hardware I'd definitely recommend a bare metal install rather than a VM since the driver translation doesn't always work properly. Either install on an extra laptop or boot a LiveCD.
I use Kali for only security research
well dude its not the best option imo
Nah, just run it as a VM. I could possibly see running it as a primary OS on a smaller dedicated machine - like a converted chromebook.
I would highly recommend keeping Kali in a VM.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10 vs Windows 7 vs Linux onestormyboi 3 58 1 hour ago
Last Post: kraghav23
  Kodachi Linux mrpa1n 2 118 05-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Last Post: ChunkButter
  Linux users: what DM/WM do you use? reebfox 0 147 02-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Last Post: reebfox
  What is the best SQL browser tool for Linux or MacOS? goldenbom 0 128 01-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Last Post: goldenbom
  kali vpn code332896 4 210 01-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: ChunkButter