Is Kali linux really usefull ?
by LeDocteur - April 27, 2021 at 07:43 PM
I would like to know if kali linux and the tools included in it are really usefull ?

I'm trying to learn more about security. I did 70% of OWASP juice shop objectives and to get my hand on CTF and other random stuff.

I dont know all the tools in it but I could easily instal them on my ubuntu distro.
Also I'm curious about why is it rooted by default ?
Anyone have a int on this topic ?
I appreciate Kali linux.
(April 27, 2021 at 07:43 PM)LeDocteur Wrote: I would like to know if kali linux and the tools included in it are really usefull ?

I'm trying to learn more about security. I did 70% of OWASP juice shop objectives and to get my hand on CTF and other random stuff.

I dont know all the tools in it but I could easily instal them on my ubuntu distro.
Also I'm curious about why is it rooted by default ?

It isn't rooted by default anymore since this is really unnecessary and might be a threat but you need root privileges for certain tools. Why Kali? It's just handy to have many tools set up ready for use. Of course you can install what ever you need on any OS you want.
You can definitely install what you want on your ubuntu but it was really useful when I was a beginner since everything is set up for me. and its just a bit more convenient that its separated from my other stuff
It gets the job done. If you know whats up, nothing stopping you from doing the same if not better for yourself (you know which tools you use the most and which are best to fit your need) in a distro of your own choosing.
Yeah it'll do for quick spin ups, long term make your own tho, no need for the bloatware
(April 30, 2021 at 09:22 AM)charlin Wrote: You can definitely install what you want on your ubuntu but it was really useful when I was a beginner since everything is set up for me. and its just a bit more convenient that its separated from my other stuff

I agree. It is a great place to start and maybe to learn some tools. But after that, just download what you need.
Thanks Smile

In the end I ended up using it because it was taking me so much time to get the included tools included in it xD

Plus... Steam works great on it. Double pleasure
i dont think you should use linux. linux is crap. i use windows and i love it
i have never used linux so i dont know. I have heard linux is a good os
(May 02, 2021 at 12:48 AM)frankisbad Wrote: i dont think you should use linux. linux is crap. i use windows and i love it

Linux is crap ? o_O

It's a bit of an overstatement I think.
I use it on a daily basis for dev work and it is almost essential to me. ( Not necessarily linux but any os based on an unix shell )
I think every OS has its targets.

Docker is a pain in the ass on windows, same for android studio and many, many more tools.

Exept for gaming and soft office work I don't think Windows is a good choice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
CCNA / Kali / Cybersec Juicybitch88 6 412 May 05, 2021 at 08:37 PM
Last Post: IzzyBizzy
Are VPN really necessary ? Mithosss 14 521 April 30, 2021 at 09:16 AM
Last Post: charlin
Is the RaidForums CDN really slow or is it just me? chenosha 5 142 April 09, 2021 at 10:34 PM
Last Post: ElToroRojo