Is IT support a dying profession?
by thelinuxnerd - October 20, 2020 at 12:37 AM
Hi,
I recently saw 2 articles online that are saying that IT support is a dying profession. It is true that you're not seeing any people installing network cables or building pcs anymore. its all done by automation now. I want to stick to doing something with computers as a profession. I know that app development is a job of the future. I have to become recession-proof during this coronavirus. The problem in my region is that the whole region's job market is growing slower than average. on indeed.com it's all the exact same jobs. especially due to corona. i want to know if people on here think IT support is a dying profession. does it make sense to focus my energies towards IT development?
it is not a dying profession , It is rather a necessary profession for running an ongoing business not all peoples are technical , + fixing technical stuff is filled with loads of complexity. It you have an ability to easily understand complex stuff I would rather recommend you to hop to the DevOps area which is a growing field aligned to the further approach with IT Support. It's true there's been a lot of automation in the field of IT .

For eg. a single person can handle the entire Giant building router configuration remotely. Earlier there was manual driver configuration based work.
Traditional IT Support as you know it? Yes, that's dead. But, we've moved on to more fraudulent stuff, so there's still hope when it comes to finding a job in this field!!
This forum account is currently banned. Ban Length: 4 Months (3m, 1d remaining).
Ban Reason: > Spamming, Constantly harassing, stalking and flaming a member(s), Disrespecting RaidForums or its Staff members, Reporting posts without a good reason, repeatedly accusing users of scamming without any actual evidence.
IT support includes many things, if 1 form of IT support is dead another kind comes out.
I'd think it's one of the fastest growing professions!
It's far from over especially as cyber-attacks increase the restoration process requires cybersecurity expert as well as IT support professional. In fact, IT support guys are the backbone of any business with an online presence. It's good to read articles but don't trust every bullshit they mention just to get some cheap likes and share.

I had a gaming PC built by a local IT guy from the scratch just last week and his business is booming even amid covid19. So no, it's not ever, it will never over.
No IT support isn't going anywhere. But I see lots of noobies come into IT support and think they can just sit around and reinstall an OS all day.

Automate or be automated.
Nah, it'll keep going. Maybe if the curve of PC users kept climbing as it did in my youth, but most young'uns now haven't got a clue about how to use a PC, they're too invested in their mobile tech & PC's have gone back into the hands of the Pros and big enthusiasts.
(October 21, 2020 at 10:54 AM)Sunsingerlock Wrote: Nah, it'll keep going. Maybe if the curve of PC users kept climbing as it did in my youth, but most young'uns now haven't got a clue about how to use a PC, they're too invested in their mobile tech & PC's have gone back into the hands of the Pros and big enthusiasts.

"but most young'uns now haven't got a clue about how to use a PC"
That's especially true in my country.

"they're too invested in their mobile tech"
Mobile tech, and for the people who only play videogames, PlayStations and Xboxs... you know what that means? If someone wants to play a videogame as a kid, they get a PlayStation instead of a PC, and they get no knowledge from that, so if you put them in front of a computer they won't even know how to turn it on, let alone ask Jeeves a question!!!

"PC's have gone back into the hands of the Pros and big enthusiasts"
Sadly, I don't think that's true...
This forum account is currently banned. Ban Length: 4 Months (3m, 1d remaining).
Ban Reason: > Spamming, Constantly harassing, stalking and flaming a member(s), Disrespecting RaidForums or its Staff members, Reporting posts without a good reason, repeatedly accusing users of scamming without any actual evidence.
(October 21, 2020 at 10:58 AM)thekilob Wrote:
(October 21, 2020 at 10:54 AM)Sunsingerlock Wrote: Nah, it'll keep going. Maybe if the curve of PC users kept climbing as it did in my youth, but most young'uns now haven't got a clue about how to use a PC, they're too invested in their mobile tech & PC's have gone back into the hands of the Pros and big enthusiasts.

Mobile tech, and for the people who only play videogames, PlayStations and Xboxs... you know what that means? If someone wants to play a videogame as a kid, they get a PlayStation instead of a PC, and they get no knowledge from that, so if you put them in front of a computer they won't even know how to turn it on, let alone ask Jeeves a question!!!

I thought people would become more tech savvy since Macbooks and Netbooks are more popular, but they're basically just lap phones tethered to the wall. No clue, they just open a browser and press like and share.

You remember when MySpace profiles looked better than some professional websites, coz people just ...learnt how to build with HTML? Why can't we have more incentives like that?
(October 21, 2020 at 12:01 PM)Sunsingerlock Wrote:

I thought people would become more tech savvy since Macbooks and Netbooks are more popular, but they're basically just lap phones tethered to the wall. No clue, they just open a browser and press like and share.

You remember when MySpace profiles looked better than some professional websites, coz people just ...learnt how to build with HTML? Why can't we have more incentives like that?

"but they're basically just lap phones tethered to the wall. No clue, they just open a browser and press like and share."
Exactly!!!!

"You remember when MySpace profiles looked better than some professional websites, coz people just ...learnt how to build with HTML? Why can't we have more incentives like that?"
Reminds me of myself trying to get a cracked game to work, LOL!

I learned so much from simply using a computer. If I was born today, I wouldn't learn anything from using something like MacOS
(October 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM)thekilob Wrote:
(October 21, 2020 at 12:01 PM)Sunsingerlock Wrote:

"but they're basically just lap phones tethered to the wall. No clue, they just open a browser and press like and share."
Exactly!!!!

"You remember when MySpace profiles looked better than some professional websites, coz people just ...learnt how to build with HTML? Why can't we have more incentives like that?"
Reminds me of myself trying to get a cracked game to work, LOL!

I learned so much from simply using a computer. If I was born today, I wouldn't learn anything from using something like MacOS

I agree, MacOS teaches you nothing, fills it with software that thinks YOU need and takes any incentive away to learn.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
LMAO im dying IPegFemboys 2 137 February 12, 2021 at 10:11 PM
Last Post: YorchLR
The food service profession/"dishwashing" is not even worth it thelinuxnerd 4 225 October 19, 2020 at 12:31 PM
Last Post: Sunsingerlock
IT helpdesk/software support/desktop support interview tips? thelinuxnerd 4 332 September 22, 2020 at 05:19 AM
Last Post: EPP