Hackers, the immune system of the Information Age
by MrBr - November 18, 2019 at 07:28 AM
On November 6th, 2012, America’s Election Night, viewers watched in shock as Karl Rove refused to accept the call, confirmed by Fox News analysts, that Ohio had gone to Obama. A release, from a hacktivist group called Anonymous, stated that it had foiled Rove’s attempt to steal the elections in Ohio, Virginia and Florida, by deploying a firewall, named “the great Oz”.

I believe that hackers are the only voice of resistance against governments and corporates who want to control data, as it is the new currency in today’s world.

In 2011, virtually all internet access in Egypt was cut off as the government was battling to contain the street protests that threatened to topple President Hosni Mubarak. Telecomix, a net activist group, started an analog dial-up modem service, which provided internet connection to egypt and for free. It was slow, but it connected Egypt to the World.

We are often terrified and fascinated by the power hackers now have because the choices they make, have dramatic outcomes and which influences all of us. But I believe that hackers are the immune system of this information age. They do make us sick but they are the only ones who can find and fix the viruses that would bring us down.

Hackers today are an exceptional force of change. General Alexander Keith, NSA Director and US cyber commander, at DEFCON, said, “In this room right here, is the talent our nation needs.” Indeed for years, hackers have been on the wrong side. But in today’s world, where the rules of the game are unclear and enemy is unknown, hackers are the only ones who can stop the over reaching governments and data hoarding corporates, by playing at their level. To me, this represents Hope.

So my message is, to take a good look at how we choose to portray them, because if expect them to be bad guys, how can they be heroes then?
(November 18, 2019 at 07:28 AM)MrBr Wrote: On November 6th, 2012, America’s Election Night, viewers watched in shock as Karl Rove refused to accept the call, confirmed by Fox News analysts, that Ohio had gone to Obama. A release, from a hacktivist group called Anonymous, stated that it had foiled Rove’s attempt to steal the elections in Ohio, Virginia and Florida, by deploying a firewall, named “the great Oz”.

I believe that hackers are the only voice of resistance against governments and corporates who want to control data, as it is the new currency in today’s world.

In 2011, virtually all internet access in Egypt was cut off as the government was battling to contain the street protests that threatened to topple President Hosni Mubarak. Telecomix, a net activist group, started an analog dial-up modem service, which provided internet connection to egypt and for free. It was slow, but it connected Egypt to the World.

We are often terrified and fascinated by the power hackers now have because the choices they make, have dramatic outcomes and which influences all of us. But I believe that hackers are the immune system of this information age. They do make us sick but they are the only ones who can find and fix the viruses that would bring us down.

Hackers today are an exceptional force of change. General Alexander Keith, NSA Director and US cyber commander, at DEFCON, said, “In this room right here, is the talent our nation needs.” Indeed for years, hackers have been on the wrong side. But in today’s world, where the rules of the game are unclear and enemy is unknown, hackers are the only ones who can stop the over reaching governments and data hoarding corporates, by playing at their level. To me, this represents Hope.

So my message is, to take a good look at how we choose to portray them, because if expect them to be bad guys, how can they be heroes then?

Wars are only ever gonna be fought on computers.
Interesting article, we will see at some time how many paradigms change in hacking and cybersecurity

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
TOP Hackers Informer Websites List G30RG14N 9 915 November 24, 2021 at 11:09 PM
Last Post: G30RG14N
SCARIEST hackers to ever exist Polonium Hydride 15 1,024 October 22, 2021 at 09:38 PM
Last Post: Whale75
how much do hackers love metasploit? emoji47 8 840 August 15, 2021 at 11:04 PM
Last Post: Smellypooper3