Google Is Testing Its Controversial New Ad Targeting Tech in Millions of Browsers
by FujitoMako - April 07, 2021 at 01:13 AM
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/03/go...sers-heres

Quote:Today, Google launched an “origin trial” of Federated Learning of Cohorts (aka FLoC), its experimental new technology for targeting ads. A switch has silently been flipped in millions of instances of Google Chrome: those browsers will begin sorting their users into groups based on behavior, then sharing group labels with third-party trackers and advertisers around the web. A random set of users have been selected for the trial, and they can currently only opt out by disabling third-party cookies.
For fucks sake, I don't need to be smothered in ads. I read tech mags, I look up the latest news, I know what I want to buy by the coverage, why do ad companies insist they need to drip feed the need for shit.
More reasons to avoid Chrome.
i know this will sound antisemitic but... you know the word
(April 07, 2021 at 02:06 PM)SunSinger-Adept Wrote: For fucks sake, I don't need to be smothered in ads. I read tech mags, I look up the latest news, I know what I want to buy by the coverage, why do ad companies insist they need to drip feed the need for shit.

It's not always about marketing to your interest. We're seeing it evolve into selling people ideas.

We can look to America to see how ads and politics went hand in hand in Facebook. We saw it happen with Camrbidge Analytica and their foreign operations to shift votes...

It's crazy to think about how intrusive it can get in 10 years time.
(April 16, 2021 at 02:19 PM)Pixel_Drench Wrote:
(April 07, 2021 at 02:06 PM)SunSinger-Adept Wrote: For fucks sake, I don't need to be smothered in ads. I read tech mags, I look up the latest news, I know what I want to buy by the coverage, why do ad companies insist they need to drip feed the need for shit.

It's not always about marketing to your interest. We're seeing it evolve into selling people ideas.

We can look to America to see how ads and politics went hand in hand in Facebook. We saw it happen with Camrbidge Analytica and their foreign operations to shift votes...

People are going to rely on marketing for advice and wisdom.
(April 16, 2021 at 03:33 PM)SunSinger-Adept Wrote:

A depressive thought but you are too right.
(April 16, 2021 at 04:23 PM)Pixel_Drench Wrote:
(April 16, 2021 at 03:33 PM)SunSinger-Adept Wrote:

A depressive thought but you are too right.

I feel sorry for the future generations who are literally gonna be nothing but battery farms for markets.
thanks for the heads up, chrome is now gone from my computer.
I hate ads... If there is an add that annoys me (e.g. before a youtube clip) I start to hate the product they advertise and normally don't buy it Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Software testing firm Codecov discloses Breach umerkhan 3 452 April 21, 2021 at 04:27 PM
Last Post: krasnodarz
Russian tech giant Yandex caught an employee selling access to users' inboxes umerkhan 6 404 February 16, 2021 at 04:41 PM
Last Post: umerkhan
Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia Fall Victim to Latest Data Breach Exposing Millions JamminK3tchup 4 1,870 December 07, 2020 at 09:21 AM
Last Post: turdburglar