Complete switch to LInux
by trevorgaming - 01-20-2019, 01:09 AM
Has anyone dome a complete switch from Windows over to LInuxOS? Thinking about doing it but not sure how much functionality I will lose out on.
that would depend on how you are using and going to use your system. Some background info would be nice
I did it some days ago, on my laptop I only have an arch linux installation that i use costantly, the only thing keeping me from removing my windows partition on my desktop was gaming.

Lately I noticed that I wasn't gaming that much even tho i kept booting in windows "just in case" I wanted to play, even more I was finding myself missing all the functionality that my arch setup gives me on the laptop, so I said fuck it and removed windows completely.

I gave up on the few games I played (i don't really care to try to run them with wine cause i got bored of them over time) and swore to myself to only buy linux compatible games to support the linux games market, but now that there is proton and dxvk you can easily run windows games on linux via steam.
(01-20-2019, 03:09 PM)zlxs Wrote: I did it some days ago, on my laptop I only have an arch linux installation that i use costantly, the only thing keeping me from removing my windows partition on my desktop was gaming.

Lately I noticed that I wasn't gaming that much even tho i kept booting in windows "just in case" I wanted to play, even more I was finding myself missing all the functionality that my arch setup gives me on the laptop, so I said fuck it and removed windows completely.

I gave up on the few games I played (i don't really care to try to run them with wine cause i got bored of them over time) and swore to myself to only buy linux compatible games to support the linux games market, but now that there is proton and dxvk you can easily run windows games on linux via steam.

That is the one thing holding me back, gaming. I might look at building a seperate box.
when i switched I use Zorin OS take a look!
(01-21-2019, 11:51 AM)trevorgaming Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 03:09 PM)zlxs Wrote: I did it some days ago, on my laptop I only have an arch linux installation that i use costantly, the only thing keeping me from removing my windows partition on my desktop was gaming.

That is the one thing holding me back, gaming. I might look at building a seperate box.

This would be a good route to go. I use Linux 90+% of the time and keep around one Windows box for the stuff I can't do on Linux.
You will loose on gaming and MS office .

Since Steam does not support all games for linux.
And Libre Office is not as good as MS office . For example ppt animation may not work on libreoffice .

For all the other windows only stuff you can use WINE .
Or even install VirtualBox to run MSOffice but for that your system need to be powrfull
(01-22-2019, 12:52 PM)lion21 Wrote: And Libre Office is not as good as MS office . For example ppt animation may not work on libreoffice .

This is true. Google Docs is better than Libre Office, though, and can be used from any computer and/or phone. I'd recommend just using that.
I've done this before, but because I am a video editor and I plan on being a video director in the future, I lose out on Adobe Creative Cloud applications, so I had to switch back to Windows. LibreOffice isn't the best alternative to MS Office but Google Docs is. The gaming side of Linux is growing faster and faster everyday and compatibility is getting bigger on Steam with Proton. If you want to switch and you are completely new, I recommend Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro for beginners, and is the most stable in my experience, but other distros I recommend are Linux Mint and Manjaro (however Manjaro is a little bit less stable than the other two.) Manjaro is a rolling release so you get frequent updates without having to do a full distro upgrade.
In my laptop i do dual boot. and use linux more often.
When i want to play some games and do some presentations i go for windows, else i use linux.
if you're not sure, try first with a dual boot, or take a flash drive and find out what you like best
Good bunch of replies here. I think I have made the decision to move! Thank you for the help Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Parrot OS vs Kali linux Halfskull 14 678 Yesterday, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Tahajafery
gnu linux nicolasalberto90 0 95 06-13-2019, 11:05 PM
Last Post: nicolasalberto90
Any Alternative OS's other then linux/win/mac Otastity 1 110 06-10-2019, 03:49 AM
Last Post: merkle