Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cicada 3301 Enigma and My Quest to Solve it.
Many of you know about the infamous Cicada 3301, A Challenge for hackers, before a fool ruined it by posting it to YouTube, but for those of you who don't I'm going tell you a story. I'm not sure if I'm lucky or just managed to solve it all.
Note I was a 13 back then.
Around Summer in 2012. Note I was a teen back then. A image was posted. A group called Cicada 3301 was looking for the brightest minds, and hid a message that would lead to a long journey.
I knew it was hidden somewhere. So I thought it was Stenography it wasn't, I tried Paint.net, Then Finally Notepad++.
A Bunch of Data was there, but a hidden message.

It contained a message to the very right saying TIBERVIS CLADVIS CAESAR says "lxxt>33m2mqkyv2gsq3q=w]O2nk"

How I Solved it?

The name
1. Well The Word CAESAR that this was based on the roman empire. and I looked and found a CLADIUS.
Problem for most people was the letter "V" in the name. Since it threw off results in 2012.
In Middle School I learned that the letter V and U were the same when learning about "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire".

In Short- V=U

The URL.
2. Kinda Embarrassed over this taking a couple days, took research but I found how.

Julius Caesar had a safety precaution in place for if someone takes his letters, they can't find it out. It's known as a Caesar cipher.
Based on which leader was currently serving it changed slightly. but just enough for it to be unsolvable for that time period.

Each Leader Stood for a number with Cladius being the 4th so you shift the letters over by 4 and the following changed

lxxt>33 became http:// and so on.

That is how I solved the first puzzle.
omg you must be that l33t haxor every1 wuz talkin about
Thanks For the Complement.

People Call me Silent, Cause Im Generally Quite, If I do Strike I leave No trace.
(03-02-2018, 01:11 AM)LLMCGaming Wrote:  Thanks For the Complement.

People Call me Silent, Cause Im Generally Quite, If I do Strike I leave No trace.

Shit! Must be because you use incognito mode, right? Or is that a trade secret Tongue
Not Incognito. That only Logs More. 

Change DNS Server, and Use a Non logging VPN.
(03-02-2018, 01:24 AM)Strat0S Wrote:  
(03-02-2018, 01:11 AM)LLMCGaming Wrote:  Thanks For the Complement.

Shit! Must be because you use incognito mode, right? Or is that a trade secret Tongue

your jokes are going over his head
No they are not... I'm just replying with sarcasm. Plus Common Logic. Makes a Statement if you actually read it.
Good luck. There are a lot of sites that document the solutions to previous challenges that might be worth looking up.

Also, a lot of it is heavily technical.