Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best Password Manager
(06-25-2017, 12:10 PM)Snitt Wrote:  
(06-25-2017, 10:15 AM)micko05 Wrote:  If you know the cryptography, I advise you to create your own passwords.

What advantage would that give other than bragging rights?
Also, it's not as simple as this. A password manager isn't just about encyrpting passwords. It's about managing the encrypted passwords. Password encryption is just a small factor in this.
Literally no idea why you suggested this over using a password manager such as keepass.

Hi,
I do not have much time, but I will try to explain briefly.
First of all, most users do not worry when and what passwork manager used, sometimes managers are on-line and there is a possibility that someone can use the back door, also, it is similar with the off line managers.
Also, most users use managers because of their lack of knowledge, although they have not properly secured their computers first (I'm thinking of malware).
Also, managers work according to a predefined algorithm, which means that they use the template, which again means that it is possible to break this protection.
My advice is, if you use managers, use two keys protection - one key to be software generated and the other part to be manually created.

Cheers!!!
(06-26-2017, 10:23 AM)micko05 Wrote:  
(06-25-2017, 10:15 AM)micko05 Wrote:  If you know the cryptography, I advise you to create your own passwords.

Also, it's not as simple as this. A password manager isn't just about encyrpting passwords. It's about managing the encrypted passwords. Password encryption is just a small factor in this.
Literally no idea why you suggested this over using a password manager such as keepass.

Hi,
First of all, most users do not worry when and what passwork manager used, sometimes managers are on-line and there is a possibility that someone can use the back door, also, it is similar with the off line managers.
Also, most users use managers because of their lack of knowledge, although they have not properly secured their computers first (I'm thinking of malware).
Also, managers work according to a predefined algorithm, which means that they use the template, which again means that it is possible to break this protection.
My advice is, if you use managers, use two keys protection - one key to be software generated and the other part to be manually created.

Cheers!!!

OP, don't listen to this guy he has no idea what he's talking about. Keep looking for managers, this isn't a better solution at all. Let's break it down.

Quote:First of all, most users do not worry when and what passwork manager used, sometimes managers are on-line and there is a possibility that someone can use the back door, also, it is similar with the off line managers.
It's incredibly unlikely that there is a "back door" in any online password management solution and impossible for an offline solution like KeePass (This is open source so people can SEE if there's a "back door").

Quote:Also, most users use managers because of their lack of knowledge, although they have not properly secured their computers first (I'm thinking of malware).
I have no idea why you would assume "most users use managers because of their lack of knowledge". That's bullshit and isn't even relevant and neither is talking about how people don't secure their computers. If you are encrypting manually or via a password manager, you will suffer the same fate if infected. That is just irrelevant information.

Quote:Also, managers work according to a predefined algorithm, which means that they use the template, which again means that it is possible to break this protection.
That's how encryption methods work... Yes it's predefined. Of course it's predefined. Nobody is going to write their own algorithms for encrypting data because 1) Using current encryption methods are NOT weak if encrypted with a strong enough key (hence why I told OP to ensure his master password has high entropy) and the right encryption method. There are literally hundreds of encryption methods which are incredibly complex and will be unbreakable for longer than your entire lifetime. You aren't going to manually create a better encryption method by doing this yourself.

Quote:My advice is, if you use managers, use two keys protection - one key to be software generated and the other part to be manually created.
I don't even know how to answer this... I don't even know what you're trying to say. Nor do I care because you're just trying to sound smart.

Anyway OP, don't listen to this at all. You're perfectly fine with a password manager as discussed in the thread.

No matter what this pleb responds with I won't be responding because I don't want to allow him to boost his credits by talking out his ass on here.

Thanks.
(06-26-2017, 08:30 PM)Snitt Wrote:  
(06-26-2017, 10:23 AM)micko05 Wrote:  

Hi,

Cheers!!!

OP, don't listen to this guy he has no idea what he's talking about. Keep looking for managers, this isn't a better solution at all. Let's break it down.

Quote:First of all, most users do not worry when and what passwork manager used, sometimes managers are on-line and there is a possibility that someone can use the back door, also, it is similar with the off line managers.
It's incredibly unlikely that there is a "back door" in any online password management solution and impossible for an offline solution like KeePass (This is open source so people can SEE if there's a "back door").

Quote:Also, most users use managers because of their lack of knowledge, although they have not properly secured their computers first (I'm thinking of malware).
I have no idea why you would assume "most users use managers because of their lack of knowledge". That's bullshit and isn't even relevant and neither is talking about how people don't secure their computers. If you are encrypting manually or via a password manager, you will suffer the same fate if infected. That is just irrelevant information.

Quote:Also, managers work according to a predefined algorithm, which means that they use the template, which again means that it is possible to break this protection.
That's how encryption methods work... Yes it's predefined. Of course it's predefined. Nobody is going to write their own algorithms for encrypting data because 1) Using current encryption methods are NOT weak if encrypted with a strong enough key (hence why I told OP to ensure his master password has high entropy) and the right encryption method. There are literally hundreds of encryption methods which are incredibly complex and will be unbreakable for longer than your entire lifetime. You aren't going to manually create a better encryption method by doing this yourself.

Quote:My advice is, if you use managers, use two keys protection - one key to be software generated and the other part to be manually created.
I don't even know how to answer this... I don't even know what you're trying to say. Nor do I care because you're just trying to sound smart.

Anyway OP, don't listen to this at all. You're perfectly fine with a password manager as discussed in the thread.

No matter what this pleb responds with I won't be responding because I don't want to allow him to boost his credits by talking out his ass on here.

Thanks.

Lots of good points. I think the pre-defined algorithm is in reference to the generation of passwords. KeePass uses entropy gathered from the OS, and there are plugins that give you the option for you to move your mouse and enter keys to increase the entropy. Good luck trying to break that...
The best way to keep your passwords safe is to write them down on a piece of paper, don't use a password manager. But if you're too lazy then just save them on your computer in notepad or something.
Thanks a lot guys!
I will try keepass Smile
I use keepass since it cannot be bruteforced, and it is a local manager.
Anything on the cloud can and will be hacked, look at major companies that have been hacked.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why password resets? HELP NETFLIX Hisoka1122 3 244 06-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Last Post: micko05
Rainbow HAKED STRANGER PASSWORD'S [BY FLATLINE] flaltline 5 268 06-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Last Post: StLuis
Lightning Linux users: What's the best package manager, and why? thecakeisalie25 1 499 07-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Last Post: xkcd3301