Best IM
by JothHeldon - November 23, 2021 at 08:32 AM
Hello everyone, what's is the best IM which provides real security for users? Telegram?
Discord is where it's at man. Plenty of features too.
Not sure Telegram is the most secure. I've recently been using qTox with no issues. I think it's pretty secure, unless someone knows of it not so?
(November 25, 2021 at 10:42 AM)R3venant Wrote: Not sure Telegram is the most secure. I've recently been using qTox with no issues. I think it's pretty secure, unless someone knows of it not so?

Just looked into qTox, interesting stuff Smile
Signal wrote and implemented the Signal protocol (duh), which is the de facto gold standard for secure instant messaging.

This makes it the most secure for the users. However, it still does require a phone number to find contacts... There's a fork of it called "Session" that replaces the phone numbers with unique user hashes though: https://getsession.org/

Neither Discord nor Telegram are end-to-end encrypted by default and thus should not even be considered an option.
Signal was already mentioned which is the goto.. An alternative to Signal would be Wickr.. I know people have been giving Signal some shit recently due to some odd policies.
Matrix is pretty good.
I wouldn't touch anything like Discord, Telegram or Signal, as you still have to attach a phone number.
Problem I've heard regarding matrix is that quite a lot of metadata is leaked.
I think that does depend on the client, better look into it deeper imo.
Signal, Briar these are some of the best options.