Awesome Threads Closed
by linuxpirate - April 23, 2021 at 10:43 PM
I have so far seen two threads regarding OpSec that have been closed. It is a real shame, they are packed full of excellent information and have great discussion material.

VPN discussion, who thinks a network based VPN on a firewall has better results than host based? Establishing a VPN on network level helps hide the IP address when the machine boots up, which we know results in a brief moment of exposure and potential traceback. Thoughts?
Well, certainly network level gains you more security. The problem during boot up depends on your OS. A Linux machine can easily be configured not to connect anywhere outside the local network. With Windows this is another story since it connects to dozens of domains.
(April 24, 2021 at 01:19 AM)m0t0rbr34th Wrote: Well, certainly network level gains you more security. The problem during boot up depends on your OS. A Linux machine can easily be configured not to connect anywhere outside the local network. With Windows this is another story since it connects to dozens of domains.

I've also noticed utilizing tools like little snitch, or portmaster for linux, helps to prevent outbound connections upon bootup. It is always nice to get an accurate account of what wants to communicate with my machine at any given point of time.
(April 27, 2021 at 05:16 AM)linuxpirate Wrote:
(April 24, 2021 at 01:19 AM)m0t0rbr34th Wrote: Well, certainly network level gains you more security. The problem during boot up depends on your OS. A Linux machine can easily be configured not to connect anywhere outside the local network. With Windows this is another story since it connects to dozens of domains.

I've also noticed utilizing tools like little snitch, or portmaster for linux, helps to prevent outbound connections upon bootup. It is always nice to get an accurate account of what wants to communicate with my machine at any given point of time.

The safest way is to build your own little gateway with firewall and DNS server. This way you are independent of the host OS and have the maximum amount of control. Any connection/request made can be logged, examined, blocked and suspicious traffic identified. This takes some time to set up but is not that expensive at all.
(April 27, 2021 at 05:16 AM)linuxpirate Wrote:

It's nice to have these tools in place for those reasons, it's a little extra piece of mind from the get go

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thread Got Closed, Credit Gone arvis 4 200 April 09, 2021 at 09:35 PM
Last Post: Spyder069