At what point do social media companies just get forced out of business.
by verking - January 24, 2021 at 03:43 AM
I don't care much for Trump, but I still continue to be baffled that a President at the time .. and now ex-president can literally be silenced across the entire internet basically. Amazing how all these tech companies and other multi-billion dollar companies magically feel like cutting trump out even though they enabled everything for years. Now you've got all these idiots in the media talking about how social media should self regulate itself which is just insane given how much sites like Facebook cant even stop themselves from getting compromised every fucking year.

Then other people are talking about having the government step in but even that is just open to abuse. What actual option is there at this point? Just close these fucking websites down at this point, they offer nothing to anybody but misery and loss of privacy.

https://www.livemint.com/opinion/columns...59617.html

https://hbr.org/2021/01/social-media-com...gulate-now
The fabric of society is built around the big platforms now. I'm not sure how nation locked either Facebook or Google really are now they have offices and datacentres dotted around the world
I've though about this recently and can't think of a good choice, for the points you've made about self regulation and government intervention. I've stopped using them and I feel a lot better for it.
(January 25, 2021 at 05:31 PM)HassaMassa Wrote: I've though about this recently and can't think of a good choice, for the points you've made about self regulation and government intervention. I've stopped using them and I feel a lot better for it.

not a coincidence that everyone i've seen delete their social media is super happy about the decision
(January 25, 2021 at 10:12 PM)Peter_Pettigrew Wrote:
(January 25, 2021 at 05:31 PM)HassaMassa Wrote: I've though about this recently and can't think of a good choice, for the points you've made about self regulation and government intervention. I've stopped using them and I feel a lot better for it.

not a coincidence that everyone i've seen delete their social media is super happy about the decision

Exactly, same for others I've known who have also dropped them. It's just not worth it.
i think theyll always be around but eventually the competitors like parlar and signal will gain popularity at their expense
When people stop using the shit of course. User growth slows at first, alternatives grow, advertisers migrant and Jackie boy, becomes the new, Myspace, Tom.
(January 27, 2021 at 04:41 AM)EPP Wrote: When people stop using the shit of course. User growth slows at first, alternatives grow, advertisers migrant and Jackie boy, becomes the new, Myspace, Tom.

(January 26, 2021 at 09:22 PM)Spyder069 Wrote: i think theyll always be around but eventually the competitors like parlar and signal will gain popularity at their expense

I think the problem is that they have literally become so powerful and wealthy that there will be no meaningful alternatives. If any opposition springs up they either bleed them out or integrate them into their shit: https://fstoppers.com/news/facebook-faci...and-536873

Any sort of "right leaning" platform gets hacked or filled to the brim with white proudboy tryhards because the owner is too scared to police in any meaningful manner. All the large social media sites are left leaning and actively collaborate to stifle competition. Tiktok is the only recent competition and its funded by cummie china gov so unsurpring it didnt get cucked by western social media shit.
When no users are using it, its traffic will decrease and it may eventually shut down
(January 28, 2021 at 09:39 AM)foxsamix2022 Wrote: When no users are using it, its traffic will decrease and it may eventually shut down

It seems like it's just going to keep passing from one large company to the next, as popularity rises and drops in each.
(January 29, 2021 at 04:41 PM)Tulnar Wrote:
(January 28, 2021 at 09:39 AM)foxsamix2022 Wrote: When no users are using it, its traffic will decrease and it may eventually shut down

It seems like it's just going to keep passing from one large company to the next, as popularity rises and drops in each.

Yep, whenever a hole in the market appears, something fills it. SocMed is balm for those who want to connect, but without the effort.

& also to sling shit at celebs/politicians and be unaccountable.
(February 01, 2021 at 03:19 PM)Sunsingerlock Wrote:
(January 29, 2021 at 04:41 PM)Tulnar Wrote:

Yep, whenever a hole in the market appears, something fills it. SocMed is balm for those who want to connect, but without the effort.

& also to sling shit at celebs/politicians and be unaccountable.

This is our life now. unfortunately

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Introducion, business decision and statement Scarfac33 10 563 February 25, 2021 at 12:01 PM
Last Post: Ghostphisher
Running Out Of Options Loneymsetnick 21 633 December 26, 2020 at 04:06 PM
Last Post: slysly
Is what I set out to do still possible? Ended0321 11 248 December 18, 2020 at 04:39 AM
Last Post: EPP