Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Are PC's or Laptops better?
In my opinion desktops are better. It kinda depends on what you plan to use your computer for.
LOL, devils advocat here.

Previous Long time desktop PC user. Now switched to the portable Laptop Master Race.
Since I never was restricted by pricings and could just go into my dads IT company and build myself whatever PC i wanted either from scrap servers or from new parts or both, I have a bit more knowledge than some of those l33t folks I encountered here.

If you are one of those addicted gamers that never see the light of day: PC is a better choice for you on a $ per use scale.
If you got the cash and understand Laptops lifecycles and their main use, take some hard earned cash and buy one. My setup is as following.

THe one I use for virtualization & for Home Office Work whenever I dont wanna sit 15 hours a day at work. (Im not a gamer and dont play games on it, i use it for actual work)
Lenovo Y700-17ISK
Intel I7-6700HQ
32GB DDR4 RAM
1TB M2 SSD + 240GB SSD
GTX960M 4GB GDDR5
Win 10 Pro 64
Stock price with 12 GB RAM & 1TB HDD was around 820 Euro, Tax deducted I paid 480 Euro cuz tax returns for students Wink
Upgraded with a used 240GB SSD from previous PC.
Got 1TB M2 SSD as a gift for free from a project.
160 Euro for a 32GB G.Skill ram Kit at 2133
Sold the 1TB HDD & the spare rams but dunno about the price anymore.

Then I realized i needed something smaller for studies and mobile, that suits more my businessman looking persona when Im abroad.
So I scrounged the earth until I found this:

Acer Aspire S7-393
14" Touch Screen WQHD Display
Intel i7-5500U Soldered
8GB Soldered DDR3L Ram
240GB SSD in RAID Config
Win 10 64 Bit Upgrade from 8.1
Paid for a complete set used but in mint condition (no scratches, no wear, with docking port) 599 Euro.

Now tell me that Laptops are very expensive and are useless. They are useful to a whole lot of people otherwise they would have died out long ago. And you can get them for cheap if you know what and when to buy.
First of all, the guy above really knows what he's on about. Definitely take his advice.

Truth be told, it depends on what you're using your computer for, and how much you're willing to spend. You can get a pretty decent laptop that'll fulfil your needs, and it'll work well. The problem of course, is that it's going to cost you a lot of money to get comparable performance.

Desktops are obviously the more cost effective option, but of course that assumes that space isn't an issue for you and you don't intend to move it ever. I have a beast of a desktop which I love, but it's heavy, it puts out a lot of heat and it consumes a lot of power. To tell you the truth, if I was doing it all again I'd be very tempted to just go for a mobile solution (i.e. a laptop only). I say this after, for the longest time, only having a desktop.

Generally speaking if you want a laptop you've got to make a trade off - what matters to you? Price, screen quality, battery life, build quality, specifications. Usually you're only going to get two of these things, and sometimes three, but it's going to be very expensive. Clevo do some excellent laptops (sold under various brands, i.e. Falcon Northwest, Sager, probably some others) with ridiculously good specs for not much money, but they're heavy, have piss poor battery life and usually the screens are low end TN panels.

Granted, with the advent of thunderbolt I'm pretty optimistic. Consider the Razer blade - if you want more graphical power you can just hook up an external GPU. It'll be expensive, sure, but you still have a light, portable laptop, and if you need more graphical power you can certainly get it.

Of course, desktops usually still win in terms of their overall thermals - you can have a system that'll put out a lot of heat because you also have a lot of space in which to dissipate that heat. You can have big cooling systems. You can have multiple GPUs. It really depends on what your requirements are. If you're a gamer, in my opinion it's pretty obvious that you want a desktop and not a laptop. But that's something you need to decide for yourself.
I prefer PCs, because I don't really travel at all and I don't really like carrying a computer to everywhere :D
PCs. Cheaper, easier to clean, more powerful, upgradable, can have more RGB than a laptop Heart
I'd definitely plump for a laptop, for portability.
I like to have a laptop, since I travel around a lot. Desktops can be really efficient though, for gaming and stuff, but laptops can only stay on so long without a recharge.
laptop is better because laptop very low grams :DD::D
Better? There is no "better" here; they're both designed for a completely different purpose.
You need to consider how you want to use it. If you need to be mobile you need to get a Laptop. But if you want to play or get your work done (rendering, high-performance computing, anything CUDA related, deep learning, ...) you should use a PC.
Like the rest said, it really depends on your use case. Another big factor is how long you plan to keep it. Most laptops can't be upgraded in the same way desktops can, so you end up spending more to replace "every" part of the laptop all at once, for your next upgrade.
Pc is very better of lap, cpu is high